header-photo

Space Shuttle Launch!

I got to watch the launch of the space shuttle today! We're over 100 miles away, but it sure was nifty to watch. Huge plume of vapor behind an incredibly bright flame. I've always wanted to see that in person, and it seemed like with the shuttle being phased out and fewer flights, it wasn't going to happen.

When I was a kid, we'd watch the shuttle launches at school. The Challenger explosion actually happened on a day when we were out of school. Emily (my sister) and I saw it on the television at home. The way everyone had pumped that launch up at school, it was particularly traumatic. No first teacher in space.

I still wanted to be an astronaut. I didn't want to be a pilot or anything: I wanted to run the experiments. And of course, when I found out how hard it was to become an astronaut, it only made it that much more intriguing. Show me a brick wall, and I seriously want to climb it or blast through it.

As for the research... I managed to count 70 more scans of fly eggs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment